Collin Klein still ahead but Johnny football surges ahead...
Week 5 of the rankings:
1. Collin Klein-QB KSU- Questions remained whether Collin would play or not but he did play and turned in an average night for the Wildcats passing for 145 yards with no TD’s and a pick but added 50 yards on the ground and 2 TD’s. KSU only put up 260 total yards against against TCU on Saturday night. I just can’t take Klein out of the top spot because they still haven’t lost and that’s big reason is because of him.
2. Johnny Manziel- QB-Texas A & M- I have been on the Johnny football bandwagon all year. The bandwagon has been picking up passengers but after rolling into to Tuscaloosa, Alabama on Saturday and beating the Crimson Tide I think the bandwagon will be full. The things this freshman QB is doing is amazing considering he has passed for the 3rd highest yards in the SEC and leads the SEC in rushing. As a matter of fact Johnny football is the only runner in the SEC to top the 1000 yard mark. The Aggies have played and won 3 straight road games in the SEC, not an easy feat. Against the Tide this weekend Manziel was a very efficient 24/31 for 253 yards and 2 TD’s passing to go along with 92 yards on the ground.
3. Braxton Miller-QB-Ohio State-The Buckeyes had a bye week and sit at 10-0. Braxton drops a spot this week which I do not like to do since he didn’t play but had to take in account what Manziel was doing. The next 2 games will be a test for Braxton Miller and Ohio State as they go on the road to face Wisconsin and finish off against rival Michigan.
4. Manti Te’o- LB-Notre Dame- Not only is Manti a tackling machine and team leader for the Fighting Irish defense he can also make the timely interception as he has grabbed his school record for linebackers 6th pick in the game Saturday night against Boston College. He also is tied with Derron Smith of Fresno State for 2nd in the nation in interceptions. Impressive to say the least as he is the only non-defensive back in the top 10 in the country in interceptions.
5. Marqise Lee-WR-USC- Marqise makes his way into the top 5 for the first time this season. Hard to leave him out of anyone’s list considering he leads the nation in receptions with 98 but also receiving yardage with 1447. The sophomore a season ago racked up 73 receptions for 1143 yards so he has already topped that mark.
5. (Tie) Marcus Mariota-QB-Oregon-The Ducks are undefeated and headed straight towards a chance at the National Title and a huge reason why is first year QB Marcus Mariota. He has flat out been amazing, but it’s been tough to pick a guy on this team because the numbers are so spread out. However after back to back 300 yard passing performances with 6 TD’s coming against Cal on Saturday night Marcus truly belongs in the discussion for the Heisman. As a matter of fact Mariota hasn’t thrown a pick in the last 4 games. For the season Marcus has 28 TD passes to just 5 picks and has ran for an impressive 516 yards on the ground.
AJ McCarron-QB-Alabama- It’s was easy to keep AJ in the top 5 as long as the Tide were crushing opponents but tough to justify numbers wise when they dropped a game at home. AJ had not thrown a pick all season but threw 2 against the Aggies this Saturday.
Kenjon Barner-RB-Oregon-After putting up crazy numbers against USC to a tune of 321 yards rushing, things didn’t go so well for Barner against Cal as he had 20 carries for only 65 yards in this game. Besides it’s time to give Mariota from Oregon more props for now. To his credit he did leave the game in the first half with injury but game right back.